Death Midwifery combines the roles of death doula, spiritual counselor, home funeral guide and funeral celebrant.
A Sacred Crossings Death Midwife provides information, guidance and support to both the death journeyer and their family from terminal diagnosis through final disposition.
What is the difference between a Death Midwife and Death Doula?
Defining the roles, responsibilities and titles of end-of-life support professionals is an ongoing process. Terms for the role may include: end-of-life guide, death doula, soul midwife, transition guide and death midwife.
A Death Doula is most often recognized as someone who guides and supports individuals and their families in the dying journey. This role may or may not include after-death care depending on the training of the doula.
A Death Midwife supports the family through the dying journey; after-death care of the body, the 3-day vigil, home funeral, burial or cremation. Please see our complete list of death midwifery services below.
If you would like to learn more about supporting a loved-one through their journey, please register for our training in The Art of Death Midwifery.
To learn more about Death Midwife, Olivia Bareham, please visit The Death Midwife page.
WHAT TO EXPECT WHEN HIRING A SACRED CROSSINGS DEATH MIDWIFE
During the initial in-home consultation, the midwife will help create a plan to address the emotional, spiritual and physical needs of the individual as they navigate the undulating path of the dying process.
Subsequent visits may be monthly, weekly or daily depending on the needs of the family. We work closely with doctors, hospice, caregivers, clergy and out-of-town family members to provide comfort, guidance and support for a peaceful transition experience.
Death Midwifery services include but are not limited to:
- In-home, hospital, or nursing home visits with you and your loved-one
- Detailed reporting to next-of-kin unable to visit
- Emergency room support after unexpected death
- Holding space while life-support is discontinued (includes sacred singing, spiritual guidance, after-death rituals and body preparation if required)
- Support with stillborn and infant death and bringing baby home for a home funeral
- Finding a local, reputable hospice to meet your loved-ones needs
- Assistance with completing advance directives for health care and death care
- Assistance with fulfilling final wishes / healing relationships / putting things in order
- Spiritual support including guided imagery, meditations and exercises to help alleviate anxiety and suffering
- Guidance with completing the life-review and legacy project
- Help with writing an autobiography or creating a video-biography as a legacy to loved one
- Guidance with after death care of the body and dry-ice preservation for a home vigil and funeral (see FAQs for details)
- Coordinating with Sacred Crossings Funeral Home for transportation and cremation
- Assistance with funeral service planning
- Celebrant to officiate funerals, memorials and graveside services
WHY HIRE A DEATH DOULA IN LA COUNTY?
“Dying is not something that happens to you, dying is something you do.”
– Stephen Jenkinson
Dying is a journey, one that invites us into the depths of our human-ness.
This journey can be frightening and lonely, but with support and guidance the death journey can be one of awe and gratitude, of expansive loving awareness never before imagined. It can be a journey filled with kindness and tenderness and peace.
Our final days can be the best days of our lives, if we can surrender our resistance, welcome the unknown and fall open to receive love that is beyond our imaginings.
Hiring a death midwife can help both you and your loved-ones experience the dying journey in this way.
“Who we think we are can’t do it, but who we really are can, so who we think we are must die in the process.” – Ram Dass
SPEAK WITH A DEATH MIDWIFE AT SACRED CROSSINGS TODAY
Sacred Crossings death midwives provide conscious, compassionate support every step of the way. Whether you are looking for death doula, spiritual counseling, or home funeral services in Los Angeles County, our certified death midwives can help.
Contact us today for an appointment.
We are proud to serve Los Angeles, Orange County, Long Beach, Pasadena, Ventura and the surrounding areas.
Our Administrative Office Location:
28310 Roadside Drive, Suite 211, Agoura Hills, CA 91301