Full-Body Sea Burials
A full-body, deep sea burial is the most eco-friendly, affordable way to bury your loved one. This 100% green burial option is available for everyone!
A full body burial at-sea is carried out in approved federal waters 6 miles from shore at a depth of 600 – 2000 feet.
The un-embalmed body is buried in either a metal casket or wrapped in a natural 100% Biodegradable custom sailcloth shroud and weighted with 160 lbs of pebble stone ballast.
Located in Los Angeles County, we service the entire Southern Pacific Coast of California.
Our Vessels leave the ports of Long Beach, Marina del Rey, San Pedro, San Diego, Ventura, Santa Barbara and Morrow Bay.
BENEFITS OF A FULL BODY SEA BURIAL:
- Eliminates the need to purchase a burial plot, open and close the grave and maintain cemetery grounds
- Conserves natural resources: no burial vault, grave-digging machinery or headstone required
- Allows family members to participate by writing on the shroud, deploying the body, and casting flowers into the ocean
- Symbolizes a return to the ocean of life
- The picturesque one-hour boat trip to and from the sea cemetery allows time for memory sharing, celebration or quiet reflection.
- Close family members can be interred at the same coordinates
- Loved-ones can use the GPS coordinates to visit the exact location for remembrance or for ceremonial purposes
- The ocean shore becomes a place of remembrance and comfort.
- Significant financial savings
All vessels chartered by Sacred Crossings are fully insured and meet or exceed US Coast Guard safety requirements.
Passenger capacity from 6 – 200 depending on the vessel. Prices vary accordingly.
Only one USCG certified vessel is required – family are on board with the decedent and may participate in the deployment of the shroud and flower offering.
Please allow up to 4 hours for your sea burial.
Departure from port is 8:00 AM. Journey to the gravesite is approximately 1 hour. Committal service and deployment of shroud or casket 15 – 20 minutes. Return journey 1 hour.
Sacred Crossing Guides are available to help choose the right Vessel and Coastal Port for your needs. We coordinate with the Captain and Vessel Charter staff and accompany the family on board to oversee the burial and safe return to port.
VETERAN BURIALS AT SEA
We service Veterans from the Army, Air Force, Marines, Navy and US Coast Guard.
A Military Honor Guard and US Flag is provided at time of service for those qualified with honorable discharge and DD214
Military honors will be provided if possible.
Military and Civilian Full-Body Burial at Sea with family attending starting at $6500.
Full Body Sea Burials require meticulous planning. Please contact Sacred Crossings staff in advance of your wishes so we may begin to make arrangements. It may take up to two weeks from time of death to file all necessary permits, create the custom shroud and coordinate with Charter vessels, Captain and crew.
Note: Going on a vessel is a weather dependent activity and weather is unpredictable. Our US Coast Guard Licensed Captains reserve the right to postpone departure due to unsafe weather conditions. Fortunately, this is a rare occurrence in Southern California.
We look forward to supporting your family with a personal and memorable burial at sea.
We are proud to serve Los Angeles, Orange County, Long Beach, Pasadena, Ventura and the surrounding areas.
Our Administrative Office Location:
28310 Roadside Drive, Suite 211, Agoura Hills, CA 91301