Conventional burials in the US today leave a considerable carbon footprint. Each burial requires: a hardwood casket (which usually includes synthetic interior and metal and plastic hardware), a concrete burial vault, backhoe machinery to open and close the grave, fertilizers and lawnmowers to maintain the cemetery grounds and metal or concrete grave markers.
WHAT IS A GREEN BURIAL IN CALIFORNIA?
A green burial is, ‘a way of caring for the dead with minimal environmental impact that aids in the conservation of natural resources, reduction of carbon emissions, protection of worker health, and the restoration and/or preservation of habitat.” – Green Burial Council
‘GREEN’ and ‘NATURAL BURIAL’ REQUIREMENTS
- The body is not embalmed.
- The burial container or shroud is made of 100% biodegradable materials.
- The casket or shroud is not placed inside a concrete vault but goes directly into the grave where decomposition can take place naturally.
- Graves are not maintained but become part of the natural habitat
- There are no headstones but natural rocks, plants or GPS coordinates mark the gravesite
Green Burial plots are purchased directly from the cemetery. Sacred Crossings is happy to assist you in locating the cemetery to meet your needs. Please see our complete list of green burial cemeteries in California below.
GREEN FULL-BODY SEA BURIALS
A Full-Body Burial at Sea complies with the green burial standards with the added benefit that no burial plot is required.
The body is not embalmed, is wrapped in 100% natural sailcloth shroud, weighted with river rocks and buried in Federal waters six miles from shore at a minimum depth of 600”.
Sacred Crossings Funeral Home offers this natural burial option from most ports in Southern California. Visit our full-body sea burials page for details.
GREEN BURIAL CEMETERIES IN CALIFORNIA
- Cayetano Natural Burial Ground (Tulocay)
- Greenlawn Memorial Park (Colma)
- Davis Cemetery District & Arboretum
- Fallbrook Masonic Cemetery (Fallbrook)
- Hillside Memorial Park (Los Angeles)
- Hollywood Forever Cemetery (Los Angeles)
- Joshua Tree Memorial Park (Joshua Tree)
- Morgan Oaks Eternal Preserve (Lincoln)
- Purissima Cemetery (San Mateo County)
- San Luis Cemetery (San Luis Obispo)
- Sunset Lawn (Sacramento)
- Woodlawn Cemetery (Santa Monica)
For a complete list of green burial cemeteries in the US, visit here.
For more information about our green burial services, please call:
We are proud to serve Los Angeles, Orange County, Long Beach, Pasadena, Ventura and the surrounding areas.
Our Administrative Office Location:
28310 Roadside Drive, Suite 211, Agoura Hills, CA 91301